City of Raleigh, NC
The City of Raleigh’s Management Fellowship Program provides talented professionals a flexible, rewarding, and challenging opportunity to advance their career in the field of local government. The selected Fellow will learn about City operations, enhance management skills, play a key role in a myriad of high-priority City projects, and contribute to the organization at the executive leadership level. In addition to gaining valuable hands-on experience, the program offers Fellows the opportunity to receive coaching and mentoring from the City Manager, Assistant City Managers, and other seasoned professionals in the organization.
Common projects and tasks the Management Fellow will carry out include:
- Performing research and policy analysis on high-level issues of concern for the organization
- Reporting research findings to the City Manager or other executive staff and elected officials in writing and in person
- Drafting citizen and employee communications
- Participating in the City budget and/or strategic planning process
- Attending City Council, Committee, and Executive Team meetings
- Tracking follow-up items for City Council Meetings
- Planning and coordinating various meetings and events
- Reviewing, updating, and implementing department operations policies and procedures
Examples of projects previous fellows have worked on include the following:
- Analyzing methods for establishing a living wage policy
- Managing the City’s innovation projects
- Leading a key focus area of the Strategic Plan
- Serving as the budget liaison for the City Manager’s Office and Council Office
A master’s degree in public administration/management, public policy, public affairs, or related fields or the completion of all coursework towards a master’s degree from an accredited program by June 2018.
The Management Fellow will receive a salary commensurate with experience as well as benefits. Successful Fellows are highly recruited by City departments to fill available City jobs (though a City job after the fellowship is not guaranteed). Opportunities to participate in ride-alongs and tours of interest.
How to Apply
To apply for the 2018-19 Management Fellowship, visit the City’s job opportunities page. Recruitment for the Fellowship program closes on Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 11:59 PM ET.
For more information about the Fellowship, please visit: