City of Beaverton, Oregon
- SALARY: $27.35 – $36.65 Hourly
- OPENING DATE: 08/15/17
- CLOSING DATE: 09/05/17 04:30 PM
The City of Beaverton seeks an associate planner in its Long Range Planning section to perform a range of planning duties, including working on a range of complex planning and urban design projects. The city is looking for a motivated, highly professional planner with a dedication to public service.
About the Community Development Department
- The successful candidate will work in the Community Development Department’s dynamic, collaborative environment.
- This position will be part of a Planning Division team with a mission to effectively plan for future development/redevelopment in the city’s urban areas; promote an “open for business” climate to support community prosperity; increase public engagement; maintain and improve the Comprehensive Plan and Development Code to achieve the city’s goals and policies; provide high-quality customer service while reviewing development applications; and in general provide high-quality information and analyses to help leaders make informed decisions.
- To fulfill that mission, the Planning Division’s current projects and likely upcoming projects include:
- Updating the city’s Comprehensive Plan.
- Completing major Development Code updates, including a Downtown project with an urban design and development-readiness focus.
- Conducting area plans to work with the community to shape the future of city neighborhoods/districts.
- Studying whether existing residential areas can accommodate a wider variety of housing, such as “missing middle” housing, in a way that responds to the scale and form of neighborhoods.
- Conducting a wireless master plan and evaluating “smart city” approaches.
- Updating development rules and design standards in corridors to ensure they are meeting city goals for density, scale and pedestrian accessibility.
- Better coordinating urban services by working with other governments and service providers.
- Developing ways to engage with property owners in urban unincorporated areas and preparing an annexation strategy.
The Associate Planner position
- This position reports to the Planning Division’s Long Range Planning Manager. The city seeks a candidate with:
- An ability to provide thoughtful, high-quality research, analysis and options to decision-makers so they can make informed choices about complex topics.
- An interest in and aptitude for conducting a wide variety of planning projects involving different subject matter, stakeholders, and urban/suburban environments – including reviewing and processing development applications.
- An interest in contributing to the city’s approach to urban design and the ability to integrate design, real estate market information, city/community goals and other factors when working on that approach.
- Experience in and dedication to meaningful public involvement, including working with community members, other governments, service providers and diverse stakeholders.