City of Burlington, North Carolina
Part-Time PEG Channel Manager
- Salary – $12.00 – $17.00 Hourly
- Location – Burlington, NC
- Job Type – Part-time
- Department – Administration
- The City of Burlington Public Information Office is seeking a collaborative teammate to help Local Gov TV achieve its vision of being a trusted source for high quality, informative and engaging local government content for the Burlington and Alamance County viewing area. The Local Gov TV Channel Manager will be responsible for managing all aspects of producing and schedule programing for broadcast.
Examples of Duties
- Technical Expertise
- Manage video servers
- Operate playback scheduling software
- Operate digital video switchers
- Use editing systems, software and related applications to their full capabilities
- Use and maintain video recording equipment and accessories
- Film and produce quality programs
- Provide meeting and special event videography
Management and Compliance
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws, codes and regulations
- Ensure minimum broadcast standard compliance
- Ensure station meets qualifications for annual DOR PEG Channel certification
- Manage contracts, MOUs and interlocal agreements
- Create and implement an equipment maintenance and improvement plan
- Inventory and catalogue station assets
- Create and implement policies and procedures for managing station assets
- Manage a schedule for recording of board meetings, special events, and program production/ playback
- Maintain files and records pertaining to Local Gov TV
- Administer Local Gov TV website and social media presence
Collaboration and Leadership
- Collaborate with Public Information Staff to produce and schedule creative programming that meets city/county-wide and departmental needs
- Work with various governmental agencies and departments to determine how Local Gov TV can help to meet their communication needs
- Create and implement a strategic plan for the future of Local Gov TV, its partners, and its schedule of programming
- Establish and monitor performance measures as they pertain to the goals and strategic plan of the station
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of digital servers, playback scheduling software, digital switchers, editing systems, audio visual systems and equipment, regulatory requirements, the principals of broadcast media, CMS websites, and social media platforms is necessary. A successful candidate will demonstrate sound judgement, resourcefulness, and the ability to foster positive relationships. Creativity and the ability to work collaborative will be imperative.
Any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the functions of the position will satisfy minimum requirements for the position. A North Carolina Driver’s License is required.
Administrative experience with PEG access television or related environment is preferred.
College level coursework in broadcast media or communications is preferred.
- This position remains open until filled
- This position reports to the Director of Public Policy and resides within the Office of Public Information (administration)
- This position is part-time with scheduled hours not to exceed 1,000 per calendar year
- This position is classified as nonessential in regards to inclement weather
- Night and weekend work hours will be required. Some holiday work may be requested
- Physical demands of the position require sitting, standing, bending reaching, and carrying or moving equipment up to 30lbs. The position requires visual acuity and manual dexterity to operate computers, manipulate complex software, and operate audio/visual recording equipment. Work will take place in the office environment, studio environment, at various sets within the community and in the field
What is Local Gov TV:
Established in 2017, Local Gov TV was created to provide the residents of Burlington and Alamance County with relevant local government television programming. Local Gov TV is a partnership between the City of Burlington and Alamance County with the management and scheduling of the channel under the authority of the City of Burlington’s Office of Public Information. The channel is currently available on Spectrum Cable channel 5. The programs aired on Local Gov TV are also available on the station’s YouTube Channel.
Local Gov TV Vision Statement:
Local Gov TV and the programming produced for the station will be a trusted source for high quality, informative and engaging local government content for the Burlington and Alamance County viewing area. Local Gov TV programming will be available through cable broadcast and on the internet, reaching residents where they are. Local Gov TV programming will tell the stories of local government departments and the value they provide to residents, businesses and visitors. Local Gov TV will work collaboratively and creatively with governmental and publicly funded agencies to provide high quality, informative and engaging content to those to whom it could provide benefit.