City of Harrisonburg is recruiting for the next City Manager. Harrisonburg City Council is being assisted in the recruitment process by Novak Consulting Group.
Harrisonburg’s next City Manager will have the opportunity to not only serve a vibrant and diverse community, but also manage the day to day operations of a high performing organization. Harrisonburg, or “The Friendly City,” enjoys the presence of two universities, lively neighborhoods, a vibrant arts and cultural district, and spectacular nearby outdoor recreation spots. The City has a history of an effective government that is fiscally sound and has stability in leadership, engaged citizenry, and exceptional services.
The City Council appoints the City Manager to serve as the chief executive officer of the City. The City Manager serves at the pleasure of the Council and is responsible for implementing the policies of the City Council, directing business and administrative procedures, and appointing all department heads except the City Attorney and City Clerk who are appointed directly by Council.
The City Manager oversees 13 direct staff including the Deputy City Manager, Deputy City Clerk, Public Information Officer and Department Directors. The City Manager also sits on the following boards:
- Middle River Regional Jail Board of Directors
- Harrisonburg/Rockingham Regional Sewer Authority
- City/County Liaison Committee
- Community Criminal Justice Board
- Metropolitan Planning Organization
- Finance Committee
- Shenandoah Valley Juvenile Detention Home Board of Directors
- Administrative Board, Harrisonburg-Rockingham Emergency Communications Center
- Administrative Board, Harrisonburg-Rockingham Social Services District
- City/School Board Liaison Committee
- City/James Madison University Liaison Committee
The position will be open when the City Manager retires in October after serving 10 years as City Manager and a total of 16 years with the City.
The principle contact for Novak is Catherine Tuck Parrish: email@example.com.