The City of Lakewood seeks an enthusiastic intern who is pursuing a certificate, associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree, or master’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Law, Accounting/Finance, Human Resources Management, Information Technology, or other academic field related to municipal management and services.
This internship provides an opportunity through project based, hands-on experience to apply learned concepts to real-time business issues. Over the course of internship you will partner closely with department leadership throughout the organization. Your fresh ideas and unique perspectives are a welcomed resource in support of providing exceptional service and value to the employees and citizens of the City of Lakewood.
This is an intern opportunity of no more than 20 hours per week for up to 12 weeks.
- Research, compile, and analyze data, as well as provide solution-oriented recommendations addressing current or potential issues faced by the City. Collaborate with department leadership and staff to determine the best course of action.
- Research current trends, standards, and best practices; share findings and recommendations with City leadership.
- Create reports and communications, maintain records, and assist with executing administrative functions. No more than 20% of tasks will be clerical in nature.
- May assist with coordinating special events.
- May assist with developing and implementing social media platforms and other communication efforts. Recommend and develop marketing protocols and standards for effective messaging to targeted audiences.
- Perform a variety of functions related to citizen outreach and/or military relations.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES INCLUDE:
- Gain a better understanding of the inner operations of various departments within a municipal organization, as well as the public it serves.
- Experience practical application and integration of coursework within the parameters of a relevant work environment.
- Enhance research, analysis, communication, and consulting skills.
- Ignite a passion for public service.