Read today’s Buzz…or you will be Chopped!
Right Now w/ Ben DeClue
What I’m reading: NOTHING! Time for a new set of 2017 books
What I’m watching: Man Seeking Woman
What I’m doing: Catching up after a long weekend
Poll: Trump will take office as least popular president in at least four decades: President-elect Donald Trump also drew low marks for his response to Russian hacking. But a majority of Americans expect him to be successful in boosting the economy and dealing with threats of terrorism, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll.
Drugs For Rare Diseases Have Become Uncommonly Rich Monopolies: Drugmakers have brought almost 450 orphan drugs to market and collected rich incentives by doing so. But nearly a third of the medicines aren’t new or were repurposed many times for financial gain.
Chinese president Xi Jinping warns, ‘No … winner in a trade war’: China’s president Xi Jinping speaks during the opening plenary session of the World Economic Forum annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland, on Tuesday.
Missouri Municipal Managers Association Winter Workshop – Jan. 25 & 26 in Columbia, MO
Colorado City/County Managers Association Conference – Jan. 25 to 28 in Glenwood Springs, CO
- Strategic Government Resources Conference – Jan. 26 & 27 in Grapevine, TX
- Why the Republican plan to repeal Obamacare is so extraordinary: Alberto Abin walks out of the UniVista Insurance company office after shopping for a health plan on December 15, 2015 in Miami, Florida
6 things you should know about Portland’s incoming storm: Portland is under an ice storm warning through 10 p.m. Tuesday and a flood watch from 10 a.m. until early Thursday morning.
- In An Ever-Changing Music Industry, Cash For Hits Remains A Constant: In the 1950s and ’60s, payola scandals led to Congressional investigations. Though today’s tactics are more nuanced than handing a DJ a briefcase full of money, pay for play is still alive and well.
- Suspect In Istanbul Nightclub Attack Has Confessed, Say Turkish Officials: The suspect was identified as a citizen of Uzbekistan born in 1983. Istanbul’s governor says Abdulgadir Masharipov was trained in Afghanistan and appeared to have entered Turkey illegally.
- Coronations, Coups, And Keeping Up With The Kardashians: It’s in our nature to idolize the rich and famous. But this week on Hidden Brain, we explore the other side of our nature: the part of us that wants to see the rich and powerful fall from grace.
It’s not over for Democrats in Missouri, new party chair says: Former state Rep. Stephen Webber says reelecting Sen. Claire McCaskill and overhauling rural strategy will be key to making gains in 2018.
Illinois Republicans try to use Speaker Madigan’s re-election against Democratic incumbents: He’s starting a record 17th term as Speaker.