Provides youth services for the Town of Highland Park and assists in other phases of library operation. Works under the supervision of the Children’s Librarian.
The position develops and implements age-appropriate Children’s and Young Adult programs including Story Times and Summer Reading Club; plans activities, develops marketing materials, determines required supplies, calculates costs, tracks attendance, and evaluates outcomes.
The position also:
- Recommends age-appropriate titles in all formats to acquire for the children’s and young adult collections and recommends which items to withdraw from the collection.
- Assists patrons in the selection and location of age appropriate materials for informational, reference and recreational use; teaches children, teens and parents how to use the Library’s automated system and digital collections to find materials and information; helps patrons locate materials.
- Participates in promotional activities to educate active and potential patrons about library services and programs, which includes design and production of bookmarks, posters, brochures, flyers, printed and online calendars, electronic newsletters, and library web pages.
- Develops services and programs to meet the needs of children and teens in the community.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with children, teens, their parents and caretakers.
- Works in close contact with the public at the Circulation Desk regularly.
- Develops, oversees, and conducts library tours appropriate for the audience for the Children’s Room.
- College degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Training that includes customer service, communication and organizational skills in a comparable environment; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Thorough knowledge of children’s and young adult literature, including at a minimum having read the majority of Caldecott and Newbery award books.
Apply online at the Town’s website: Children’s Assistant, Part-Time
Qualified applicants may submit resume and cover letters in .PDF format to:
Download the complete job ad: Children’s PT Assistant