City of Pearland, Texas
Participates in the preparation and administration of the annual operating budget, the five-year capital improvement plan, and the long-range financial plan. Assists in the development and reporting of performance measures, monthly financial reports, and reporting on status of capital projects; assists with policy development, benchmarking and surveying, bond sales, research of programs, special tasks, and projects as assigned. Conducts fiscal impact analysis, revenue and expenditure analysis and forecasting, and prepares audit schedules as required.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed by this position. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Strategic Management and Planning
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the organization; both financially and operationally;
- Assist in developing and reporting measures of input, output, efficiency, and outcome that further the City’s long-term goal of becoming a High Performance Organization;
- Conduct research and/or policy development, complete special projects as assigned;
- Contribute to team effort by performing other related duties as assigned; and
- Ensure policies, procedures and expenditures contribute to City Council’s six Strategic Priorities.
- Budget Development
- Assist in the preparation of the annual operating budget;
- Serve as primary point of contact for multiple departments during the annual budget development process;
- Compile the budget information into a format suitable for review by City Manager and City Council;
- Assist in preparing budget based on organization’s performance, estimated revenue, expense reports, and past budget numbers;
- Review department line-item allocations for reasonableness and accuracy with budgeted funding and consistency with chart of accounts; and
- Using the City’s financial management software, facilitate the entry, review and adjustment of annual budget.
- Budget Maintenance
- Maintain and analyze financial data in accordance with City policies and objectives;
- Research budget-to-actual variances and initiate corrections as needed;
- Assist in the ongoing maintenance of the City’s position control database;
- Assist departments in day-to-day financial operations;
- Review department mid-year projections for reasonableness and accuracy;
- Review operating budgets periodically to analyze trends affecting budget needs;
- Review expenditures of departments to ensure compliance with budget;
- Assist in the preparation of the monthly financial reports, including clear and concise analysis of the activity; and
- Assist in reviewing City Council agenda requests for availability of funds, recommend funding sources if needed.
Education, Experience, and Licenses
Minimum bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Public Administration or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
Three (3) year’s budget experience preferred.
Relevant and significant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement with three (3) years’ experience being the equivalent for each year of higher education.
Microsoft Suite proficiency; advanced Excel proficiency preferred.
Municipal experience preferred.
Valid, Class “C” Texas Driver’s License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Ability to learn and grow professionally within the organization, including taking on roles and projects outside the regular scope of financial operations.
Ability to clearly articulate financial information, policies and procedures to co-workers, management, City Council and residents.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference; ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations.
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have general knowledge of Accounting software; Payroll systems; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
Ability to operate a PC, printer, fax machine and copier.
Good interpersonal skills suitable for courteous interaction with co-workers and the public.
Ability to work independently with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
Knowledge of business, finance, auditing, budgeting and accounting practices and legal requirements.
Knowledge of practices and methods of budget analysis and control
Knowledge of fiscal impact, statistical and financial analysis techniques.
Knowledge of structure, function and operation of municipal, state, or other governmental organization.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.