Did you know Michigan is the Great Lakes state? Michigan touches four out of the five great lakes, more than any other state: Huron, Michigan, Erie and Superior.
Other fun facts about Michigan and its famous lakes:
- The official state nickname is the Great Lakes State.
- Michigan is the French form of mishigamaa, an Ojibwa word meaning “large water” or “large lake.”
- Michigan has the second longest coastline in the U.S., following Alaska. Michigan has the longest freshwater coastline in the U.S.
- Michigan is home to more than 11,000 lakes.
- Michigan has 129 lighthouses, according to the Michigan Lighthouse Guide.
Join us in Michigan for #ELGL17! Have you registered yet? Click here to register or email firstname.lastname@example.org.