Dear ELGL members,
I spent the majority of last week getting ready for the opening of #ELGL17 registration. You can read about our the conference agenda, hotel, and sponsorship opportunities here. Do you remember that feeling when you were a kid where you couldn’t sleep before the first day of school, because you were so exited? That’s how I feel every year before we open registration for the ELGL conference – a mix of excitement (“I can’t wait for another awesome local gov conference, ELGL-style!”) and worry (“what if the interwebs break and no one can register?”). I’m pleased to share that we’ve sold 20 percent of our tickets – so if you want to attend and haven’t registered yet, you should hurry up!
Another item I spend a lot of time on each week relates to that “connect” portion of our ELGL mission (…connect, communicate, and educate about local government…). Whether it’s sending personalized emails to introduce members to each other when they have something in common, or connecting job seekers with hiring agencies, I really enjoy the aspect of our organization that allows us to get to know each other and form connections that cross state boundaries or job titles.
A huge reason we’re able to do this is because of our Supper Club connections, where our members are actively connecting with each other and building strong relationships in local government. We set a goal in 2017 to host a Supper Club in each state where we have members, and we’re off to a good start:
- Jan. 4 – Silicon Valley Supper Club
- Jan. 25 – Cambridge, MA Supper Club (aka Whiskey Wednesday with Soofa)
- Feb. 16 – Lakewood, CO Supper Club
- Mar. 7 –Denver, CO Supper Club
- Mar. 14 – Nashville, TN Supper Club
- Mar. 23 – Sacramento, CA Supper Club
- And… we have So Cal and Chapel Hill Supper Clubs in the works for March, as well!
Thanks for being an active member of ELGL and for everyone’s work guest blogging, planning special events, and registering for #ELGL17!
What I’m Reading
- A Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
What I’m Listening To
- Harry Potter & the Sorcerer’s Stone by JK Rowling (long car trip for President’s Day Weekend with the family… but I think I am loving the audio book more than the kids…)
What I’m Watching
- Alvin & the Chipmunks (Dave is a saint. Can you imagine fathering three horribly behaved rodents?)
GIF of the Week
ELGL.org in Pictures
Here are all of the cool things we posted this week, in picture format so you can click and read all of them.
This Week’s Job Postings
As a reminder – stand-alone job postings are free for ELGL organizational members. It’s a total bargain – $250 for the year and you get unlimited access to post your jobs on ELGL.org.