This application period is now closed. The city of Hillsboro is pursuing next steps in the recruitment process with selected candidates. Thank you for your interest in the city of Hillsboro!
The city of Hillsboro is searching for a collaborative, strategic, and innovative Human Resources Director to lead the City’s Human Resources Department. Read more about Hillsboro’s core values here.
As a destination employer, the city of Hillsboro has gained a reputation of having a high-performing workforce and a positive environment with an emphasis on innovation.
We are looking to replace our recently promoted Human Resources Director with someone who will continue the positive momentum with a focus on customer service, trust, and communication.
About the Position
The Human Resources Director leads an excellent staff of 11 full-time employees, and is responsible for the City’s human resources efforts including recruitment, classification and compensation, employee and labor relations, benefits administration, training, performance management, and risk management.
This position serves on the City’s Senior Leadership Team and works collaboratively with all other departments to ensure both a positive work and fun environment for employees and a high performing workforce for the community.
Candidates should be collaborative, strategic, and effective communicators, and have a passion for human resources, diversity, and public service. The Human Resources Director should be creative, willing to challenge the status quo, and have the ability to remain neutral and politically savvy when managing change.
Candidates should also have a strong understanding of local, state, and national issues and trends that are affecting the human resources profession, and how those issues and trends may impact the City. The new director will be friendly, approachable, a strong listener, and have a great sense of humor.
Additionally, the ideal candidate will place a significant emphasis on proactive employee development, and will be able to build on innovative training programs such as Hillsboro U. They will also continue to grow and enhance the City’s focus on diversity efforts throughout the organization.
Successful candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Public Administration, Business Administration, or a closely related field, and 10 years human resources related experience, including three years of leadership experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Explore new recruitment strategies to attract the best talent, to promote diversity throughout the City workforce, and to retain the City’s high-quality workforce.
- Create strong relationships and participate in labor negotiations with the City’s Police and Fire unions.
- Review and update current personnel policies to ensure compliance with new state and federal laws, and keep the City in front of an ever changing landscape.
- Maintain the City’s commitment to providing youth with high quality training, internships, and exposure to local government, and build on the City’s successful youth development programs such as Youth Invasion, Interviewniversity, and a highly successful internship program.
- Salary Range: $105,826—$139,261 (Candidates typically start at lower end of range)
- Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS/OPSRP)
- Choice of two medical, dental, and vision plans
- City-paid employee life, LTD and AD&D insurance
- City contribution of 2% of base salary to HRA-VEBA
- Vacation, Sick, Volunteer, and Personal Leave plus 9 paid Holidays
- Healthy Hillsboro Wellness Program
- Section 125 Plan and 457 Deferred Compensation Plans
- Annual TriMet Pass
On February 8, 2017, city manager Michael Brown and assistant city manager Robby Hammond participated in a webinar about this recruitment. View the video below to learn more about the HR director position and this recruitment.
Nestled in the beautiful Tualatin Valley between Portland, the mountains, and the Pacific Ocean, Hillsboro is the fifth largest city in the State of Oregon.
Hillsboro enjoys award-winning urban planning, an affordable cost of living, a strong economic base and one of the state’s most diverse populations. It offers the state’s fourth largest school district, two higher-education campuses, various annual community events, and more than 1,500 acres of designated green spaces including the Jackson Bottom Wetlands Preserve and 24 parks.
Hillsboro is also home to the Portland metro area’s only professional baseball team—the Hillsboro Hops (Go Hops!).
Hillsboro’s people, businesses, nonprofits and government take great pride in their town as they work side by side giving as much attention to community and livability as to development and industrial growth. With a healthy patchwork of history, business opportunities, neighborhoods, education, recreation and culture, great things are growing in Hillsboro.
The city of Hillsboro is a progressive and visionary organization. We respect and value our diverse population by providing exceptional and equitable public services to our residents, businesses and guests. We have a well-deserved reputation of excellence in long-term strategic and fiscal planning. We are bold, optimistic, and we are growing rapidly and thoughtfully.
We strive to be the best city government in the universe. Our goal is to be the public employer of choice, and we continually look for ways to create the best working environment for our employees.
How to Apply
02/08/2017, 9:00 a.m. PST
- Webinar for applicants and potential applicants with Hillsboro leadership discussing the Hillsboro culture, values, and position requirements. Log on to AnyMeeting.com/ELGL50 to participate in the webinar.
- Applications due
- First round interviews at Hillsboro City Hall