City of Jamestown, North Dakota
The City of Jamestown, ND is currently seeking individuals interested in making a difference in a dynamic, well-managed city. Jamestown is a vibrant community offering small town perks with easy accessibility to larger communities. Our scenic views, two lakes and rivers, quality of life, low cost of living, and welcoming citizens are what makes Jamestown a great place to call home.
The City Administrator is responsible for insuring the plans and priorities of the City Council are carried out by City staff. This position oversees the day to day functions of the City and coordinates all City departments.
City of Jamestown, ND – City Administrator
To plan, direct, manage and oversee the administration of municipal operations, under supervision of the Mayor; Coordinate assigned activities with other City departments and outside agencies; Administer policies established by the Mayor and City Council for efficient operation of the municipality, and provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Mayor and City Council in legislative, policy, fiscal, and other technical matters.
- Confers with department heads concerning operating problems, plans, and policy questions; Assists department heads in the management, development, and implementation of department goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for City Departments; Providing leadership and direction for effective City service; Serves as facilitator/communicator between departments to coordinate efficient provision of municipal services; Reviews progress and advises or directs administrative and operating officials in the conduct of functional programs.
- Develops proposals for the Mayor and City Council on citywide policies and coordinates the application of these policies in city procedures according to City Code; Provides leadership and direction in the development of short and long term plans; Gathers, interprets, and prepares data for studies, reports, and recommendations; Attends all City Council meetings; Makes such reports as required by the Mayor and the City Council; Serves as liaison for City on major projects as directed by the Mayor; Responds to complaints to maintain positive community relations for the City; Represents the City Council in public meetings and before the State Legislature and other elected bodies and boards when requested.
- Staffs the budget framework process and presents recommendations to the Mayor; Maintains sound fiscal position for the City through preparation of annual budget, financial reporting, treasury and cash management, debt administration, accounting, utility billing, special assessments administration, risk management, pensions, business and occupational licensing, permits, and record management; Provides policy guidance for the development and review of budget requests and program proposals through coordination with City Department Heads; Assesses governmental operations to ensure effectiveness, efficiency, and public convenience in coordination with the Mayor; Review and evaluate work methods and procedures; Meet with management staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Represents the City, as directed by the Mayor, on various committees involving other public entities or private organizations; Provides professional advice to the Mayor, City Council, and to Department Heads; Makes presentations to councils, boards, commissions, civic groups, and the general public; Receives visitors; Reviews, investigates, and resolves all inquiries and requests from citizens in conjunction with the appropriate Department Head; Disseminates public information and media information regarding City activities.
- Performs other related duties of a comparable level as required by the Mayor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Finance, or a related field; Master’s degree in Public Administration or related field is preferred.
- Three years of increased responsibility within leadership/management roles; Continuous career advancement in municipal operations or within related position preferred.
- Possess strong financial aptitude and demonstrated budget and financial management skills; working knowledge of municipal finance, budgeting, and strategic planning preferred.
- Firm understanding of the complexities of municipal utilities.
- Strong communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of organizational management principles and ability to apply to public sector organizations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people/groups such as City Council members, directors, consultants, other government entities, and the public
- Ability to communicate with the public, present proposals, discuss problems and respond to complaints
Talented professionals are encouraged to email a letter of interest and resume to CityOfJamestown@ae2s.com. Deadline to apply is February 4, 2018.
For the full job description and additional information, visit http://jamestownnd.org/departments/human-resources/careers/
The City of Jamestown is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, gender, creed, religion, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin or any other legally protected status.