Today’s buzz has its dancing shoes on as we look at some classic TV dances…
What I’m reading: Astro City Vol. 12 Lovers Quarrel
What I’m listening to: Heart of a Champion by Nelly
What I’m doing: Prepping for ICMA #16 next week
Ahmad Khan Rahami Is Arrested in Manhattan and New Jersey Bombings: Mr. Rahami, 28, was taken into custody on Monday after he was wounded in a shootout with the police in New Jersey, law enforcement officials said.
North Carolina Governor Drops ‘Bathroom Bill’ Lawsuit Against U.S.: Gov. Pat McCrory said the suit he filed against the Justice Department, which defends a bill that regulates who uses what bathrooms and allows for discrimination against LGBT people, is too expensive.
The Death of ‘He Said, She Said’ Journalism: Last Saturday, The New York Times published an extraordinary story. What made the story extraordinary wasn’t the event the Times covered. What made it extraordinary was the way the Times covered it.
- I Love BBQ: Jordan Lester, Village of Hoffman Estates, IL
- Conference & Networking: League of Women in Government Symposium + Networking – September 24
- Networking: L.P. Cookingham Selfies + Hosted Happy Hour at #ICMA16 – September 25
- Networking: ELGL & ICMA BBQ Mixer – September 25
- Webinar:Local Governments & Local and Regional Food Economies – October 11
- Conference & Networking: #ELGL16 PopUp Conference – October 21
- Webinar: Future Schedule Technology Efficiency Series – New Webinar Every Month
- Chicago Is Finally Named The Most Bike Friendly City In The U.S.: Chicago has beat out New York in this year’s Bicycling magazine ranking of the most bike-friendly city in the United States, meeting an ambitious goal the mayor set in 2011.
- Dead whale on Oregon coast disappears before experts can determine what killed it: “Last night’s high tide must have pulled the big girl back out to sea,” Tiffany Booth, part of the necropsy team from the Seaside Aquarium, said Monday. “The only thing we found was a kidney.”
- Millennial Voters May Cost Hillary Clinton the Election: When Hillary Clinton delivers a speech aimed at Millennials in Philadelphia on Monday, she will be confronting perhaps the most persistent weakness in her career as a national candidate. Clinton struggled among Millennial voters in her 2008 primary campaign, her 2016 primary campaign, and in the 2016 general election. Against Donald Trump, Clinton has two big advantages—a policy agenda that polls show largely matches Millennials’ own preferences, and an opponent even more unpopular with them than with the public overall. But she also must overcome her own long history of failing to connect with this growing group of voters—a failure that is increasingly worrying Democrats as the overall race tightens.
- White riot: How racism and immigration gave us Trump, Brexit, and a whole new kind of politics. Donald Trump is not an accident.
- Analysis: Trump Tax Plan Would Cost Trillions, Boost Incomes For The Rich: The plan would also help the rich more than the middle class, according to the Tax Foundation. And there’s still one huge, $1.5 trillion uncertainty in the plan.
- Syrian Military Declares End To Cease-Fire; Aid Convoy Comes Under Attack: The Syrian military accused rebels of violating the seven-day cease-fire and declared the truce over. Trucks carrying food and medicine to an area west of Aleppo were attacked from the air.
Missouri voters will get chance to bring back campaign contribution limits: Missouri has not had limits on campaign donations since 2008, resulting in the rise of mega donations during elections.
Along for the Ride: Contentious times for horse carriages: One carriage company owner says relations have been strained with regulators for a couple of years.
Franks wins big in do-over statehouse primary: Judge had ordered new runoff in 78th District contest.
Wilmette Preps for Bird Habitat: The Park District is partnering with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to create a habitat for migrating birds at Gillson Park. We’ll be adding flowering trees and shrubs, wildflowers, and native grasses within many new garden beds. The habitat will create a much-needed refuge for tired birds and many beautiful spaces for people to enjoy.