I saw “Ghostbusters” last night and I loved it. I couldn’t figure out what all the negativity was about, it was clever and fun and perfect for a summer movie outing. I can’t help but agree with the director’s commentary that this degree of animosity is “vile,misogynistic sh**”. It’s helpful when something causes such a strong reaction, because you can use it as a litmus test on someone’s general attitudes about life. Like, if you hate Ghostbusters, I can reasonably assume that you hate empowering women into previously-held male roles. Similar to how if you wear jorts, I can reasonably assume that you have probably rocked a rat tail at some time in your life.
- Welcome to ELGL! We added 27 new members to the ELGL family.
- We also reduced our membership fee from $30 to $25, to reflect our success and growth as an organization.
- The Chris Traeger List of the Top 100 Local Government Influencers was posted – were you on the list? Anyone you work with?
- Katie Babits from the “Eug” shared the story of her life in presidential terms.
- Birthdays and Books continues into August.
- We introduced new member Dr. Lauren Edwards from UMBC.
- This weeks’ job postings included the SGR job board, a building and permit services director job in the Eug, and the Portland, Oregon job board.
- I Love BBQ series started, where we profile the fun folks we’ll meet at the #ICMA16 ELGL mixer:
Communicate (ELGL.org Content):
- Nine more days until #CityHallSelfie day! People are already getting pumped.
- We profiled the cool efforts in Hillsboro, Oregon to attract younger people to local government service careers.
- Morning Buzz was rockin’ this week:
- Kent Wyatt raged against the [credit card] machine in this installment of his Confidential.
- One of my new favorite posts of the year: San Rafael, CA’s Rebecca Woodbury shared with us the processes she used to buy new digital CRM and web design services for her local government.
- Live from Curtis Street detailed our trip to Denver for the CPBB conference.
- Here’s the link to our presentation file from the conference.