2013 Annual Conference
October 4, 2013
Kennedy School * Portland, Oregon
7:45 – ELGL Breakfast – Trending Topics in Local Government Law
Presented by Cosgrave Vermeer Kester
- Jeremy James, Associate, Cosgrave Vermeer Kester
Please join ELGL for a breakfast session about the trending topics in local government law that you should be aware of as an emerging leader. Led by Jeremy James, this session will focus on a variety of issues that are trending in 2013.
9:00 – 10:00
Strategic Look at Municipal Budgets: Sharing of Burdens and Benefits Across the Metro Region
- Moderator: Jeff Mapes, The Oregonian
- Mayor Shane Bemis, City of Gresham
- Mayor Denny Doyle, City of Beaverton
- Mayor Charlie Hales, City of Portland
The mayors of the region’s largest cities will provide their unique perspectives on the Metro region. The discussion will focus on municipal budgeting in Oregon, with an emphasis on the ways that communities share burdens and benefits in the region.
10:30 – 11:30
Communications Best Practices for Local Government Success
- Moderator: George Rede, Editorial Page Editor; Hillsboro Argus & Forest Grove Leader
- Mac Prichard, Prichard Communications & Mac’s List
- Dave Austin, Multnomah County Communications Director
- Tom Eiland, CFM Communications
What are the best ways to connect with the diverse demography in your community? How should you leverage social media for your organization? What are some of the emerging communications trends in Oregon communities? These questions – and many others – will be the topic of this discussion featuring consultants, practitioners, and researchers in the communications field.
12:00 – 1:30 – LUNCH
Hindsight is 20/20: Perspectives on Leadership
- Moderator: Phil Keisling, Director, Center for Public Service
- Oregon Governor Ted Kulongoski
- Washington Governor Chris Gregoire
Learn from former Oregon Governor Ted Kulongoski (2003-2011) and from former Washington Governor Christine Gregoire (2005-2013) about the lessons in leadership they learned while serving in elected positions, and the perspectives they offer now that they are outside the Executive Office.
In the Trenches: Learning from Practical Experiences in Oregon Economic Development
- Moderator: Randy Ealy, COO, City of Beaverton
- John Southgate, Former Director of Economic Development, City of Hillsboro; Principal, John Southgate LLC
- Karen Williams, former PDC General Counsel; Partner with Carroll Community Investments
Learn from real-world, real-time practical stories and experiences about economic development in Oregon. We’ll stay away from buzzwords and catch phrases, and instead focus on the tangible (and intangible) skills that are required to significantly impact economic development and changes in Oregon communities. This panel is comprised of experts in the public and private sector who will share their stories about what economic development really means.
3:00 – 3:30
Local Government Finance Options: Realistic Solutions for Your Community
- Moderator: Kasia Benoit, Fixed Income Capital Markets, D.A. Davidson & Co.
- Matt Donahue, Vice President, Public Finance, D.A. Davidson & Co.
This interactive session will provide valuable summarization of the broader scope of public financing vehicles, including general obligation bonds, full faith and credit obligations, revenue bonds, and more. Geared toward public sector leaders, this session will build your understanding of which vehicles are best for your community, in a conversational tone that is practical, relatable (and dare we say it – fun)!
4:00 – 4:45 – KEYNOTE
- Dion Jordan, “The Potentialist”
A native of Palm Springs, California, Dion is regarded as one of the top most powerful and engaging professional speakers on the speaking circuit today. Branded as “The Potentialist”, Dion is a recognized authority on peak potential and personal development. He has appeared in USA Today, local and national broadcasting around the nation, including the Oprah Winfrey Show. He has been called on by Olympic gold medalists, teachers, and professional and collegiate sport teams, corporate executives, ministers, and political Leaders for his expertise in personal development and leadership. In addition, Dion founded the Speakers Society, an organization that helps youth and adults build confidence through public speaking. Most recently, he was appointed to the Portland Parks Board, and profiled in the June 13, 2013 edition of the Oregonian.
5:00 – ELGL Social Hour – Celebrating Our Community
Presented by Johnson Controls