Since ELGL is not a big fan of icebreakers and since we would rather not know what animal you want to be, this feature will serve as a way of introducing new members. While you won’t learn about their favorite animal, you will learn about their ideal Sunday morning, which dead people would they FaceTime with, and which song best describes their life.
Name: Amanda Stratton
Education: North Carolina State University, B.A, Political Science and Non profit Studies and University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Masters in Public Administration, 2012 – 2014 (expected)
Current Position: Intern at the North Carolina Association of County Commissioners
Previous Employment: Research Assistant, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Government; Paralegal, Currin & Currin, Attorneys at Law; and InternWake County Guardian ad Litem
Three projects you are working on.
Related Link: Why Counties Matter?
This summer I am interning with the North Carolina Association of County Commissioners. In this capacity I have been working on the following projects that will ultimately help local government leaders:
- Updating/rebuilding a database of information about North Carolina counties.
- Organizing webinars and meetings about how the Affordable Care Act will affect North Carolina counties both as public health providers and as employers.
- I am also contributing to the Golden LEAF Foundation’s broadband internet initiative through my research assistantship. This initiative is bringing broadband internet to rural communities in North Carolina.
Your longest public meeting.
Though I am just getting my feet wet in State and local government, I have recently been attending many North Carolina General Assembly sessions. With debates taking place about the budget, tax reform, and many other highly politicized issues, these meetings have not only been very heated, most have also lasted for many hours.
Songs on your iPod’s Recently Played list.
- Dire Straights: The Sultans of Swing
- Chatham County Line: (Side note: I highly recommend this North Carolina band for anyone visiting or moving to NC. They always bring a crowd alive as they sing around a vintage style, single microphone)
- Old Crow Medicine Show: Wagon Wheel (This is a necessity if living in Raleigh, NC)
Best piece of advice from your parents.
Work hard in school…not only will you learn more, you will graduate with less student debt
Excluding family, give three of your career mentors.
You mean other than Leslie Knope?
Right after graduating college I got a job as a paralegal at a law firm in Raleigh, NC. The owners of the firm, George and Robin Currin, helped me figure out what path I really want to take and taught me skills that will be easily transferable to all of my future careers.
This summer I am working with the North Carolina Association of County Commissioners. Though I have only been here for about a month and a half, all of the leadership in this group has shown me what it is like to effectively run an organization. I believe they will continue to be awesome mentors as my career progresses.
(Complete the sentence) I know this makes me sound old but……I almost always fall asleep when watching a movie unless I start watching it before 5pm.
Last time you checked your cell phone.
probably less than a minute ago
Describe the inside of your car.
generally my car stays fairly clean except for the relentlessly clingy dog hair
Song(s) that remind you of summer.
- Viva la Vida by Coldplay
- Kids by MGMT
(Complete the sentence) In 2018, local government will be ………… that depends on which State you are in.
(Complete the sentence) Before I die I want to……travel to many new, exciting places.
Should government be run like a business?
I think both sectors have a lot to learn from each other but neither need to/can be run exactly the same way.
Biggest misconception about government.
All bureaucrats work hard to make government inefficient
Three defining news events of your lifetime.
- The invention of the Internet
- Fall of the USSR
What’s the meaning of life?
What would life be if we weren’t constantly trying to answer that question? I’m definitely still trying to figure that one out and trying to have fun in the process!
- Jessica Nunley, Newberg Assistant Planner
- Jacques Livingston, PSU MPA Student and Former AmeriCorps Director, Olympic Peninsula YMCA
- Justin Powell, City of Greenville, SC, Budget Administrator
- Kevin Perkins, Benton County
- David Nguyen, City of Beaverton and ELGL Photographer
- Kristin Akervall, Austen Group
- Brian Southey, City of Bloomington, IL
- Jessica LaVigne, OPB Member Center Representative
- Jessica Cahill, PacificSource Health Plans, Communications Specialist
- Tom Hogue, Economic Development Specialist, Dept. of Land Conservation and Development
- Caleb Howe, City of Independence
- Geoff Wullschlager, PSU Center for Public Service, Budget Analyst
- Dylan Digby, City of West Linn Public Improvement Specialist
- Joshua Allen, Program Manager at Umatilla Basin Watershed Council
- Jeremy James, Cosgrave Vergeer Kester, Attorney
- Michael Rizzitiello, Beaverton Economic Development Coordinator
- Pavel Gubanikhin, Eugene Senior Budget Analyst
- Aaron Bogle, City of Beaverton, Neighborhood Program Project Specialist
- Scott Pingel, Dayton City Manager
- Rob Caballero, Willamette University MBA
- Melanie Cutler, Oregon Department of Revenue
- Stephanie Tripp, Oregon Health Authority, Public Affairs
- Andrew Spaeth, Oregon State Master of Public Policy
- Carlos Soriano, Business & Employment Specialist at State of Oregon
- Ellen Currier, Lane Council of Governments
- Eric Battles, University of Southern California
- Michelle Tagmyer, City of Beaverton Public Information
- Evan Fransted, University of Colorado-Denver School of Public Affairs
- Ben Patinkin, Patinkin Research Strategies
- Emma Williams, Oregon Metro
- Nick Herrera, State of Oregon
- Lauren Stott, Village of Montgomery, IL
- Beth Otto, City of Lake Oswego and PSU MURP Student
- Bradley Olin, California State University, Office of the Chancellor
- Adam Hackman, Drake University MPA Student
- Tamara Richards, City of Eugene
- Scott Aycock, Central Oregon Intergovernmental Council
- Dan Blue, City of Gresham
- Michael Parkhurst, City of Gresham