The relocation costs will be minimal as Lake Oswego will select Scott Lazenby, Sandy city manager and ELGL member, as their new top administrator. The decision is expected to take place at tonight’s Council meeting – Lake Oswego City Council expected to name Scott Lazenby as new city manager and Scott Lazenby to be named new city manager
Kudos to Lake Oswego staff for carrying out a low-profile recruitment process that maintained the anonymity of the candidates.
Dr. Scott Lazenby’s research and interests include innovation in both management and service provision, government budget and finance, urban renewal, staff-governing board relationships, project management, economic development, use of technology including municipal Internet service, strategic planning, lean six sigma process improvements, contract management, and development of code language and administrative rules. He has been city manager of Sandy OR since 1992; before this, he has worked as the Director of Management & Budget for Glendale, AZ, Assistant to the City Manager for Vancouver WA, and President of the Oregon City/County Management Association (2006).
Dr. Lazenby has been an adjunct instructor at the Hatfield School since 2007. He holds a BA in Physics (Reed College 1977); an MS in Public Management & Policy (Carnegie-Mellon University, 1979); and a PhD Public Administration & Policy (Hatfield School of Government, 2009). Related links: ICMA PSU Chapter: A Public Sector Startup and On Campus with the Portland State MPA Program.
What We Know About Scott?
- Previous jobs include: Management & Budget Director, City of Glendale, AZ; Assistant to the City Manager, City of Vancouver, WA; COPRA Volunteer (Site Visits), NASPAA– National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration; and Adjunct Instructor, Portland State University
- He was the featured speaker at the first ELGL meeting held in 2011.
- His academic credentials are impeccable – BA in Physics (Reed College 1977); an MS in Public Management & Policy (Carnegie-Mellon University, 1979); and a PhD Public Administration & Policy (Hatfield School of Government, 2009).
- Scott is an adjunct professor at PSU. See bio.
- A must read for public administrators, “Playing with Fire” was penned by Scott.
- Now is a good time to take the ELGL poll which was originally posted in August 2012. Poll: Playing with Fire by Sandy City Manager Scott Lazenby.
- Short review of Playing with Fire: For the Bureaucrat on Your X-Mas List
- Learn about Scott Lazenby, the author – Scott Lazenby Books
- Scott is frequently mentioned as a mentor for the next generation of local government leaders. Action Items for Generation X with Rob Carty, ICMA Next Generation Initiatives
- Last December, ELGL asked Scott for a list of his favorite books. Here’s what he suggested: Book Smart with Scott Lazenby, Author of Playing with Fire
- State of City: 2013 will be tough budget year
- City of Sandy, OR Launches Initiative for Fiber Internet Service
- Finalists for Metro COO include three city managers
- Sandy seeks best practices from distant cities
- City sets two-year budget
- Sandy’s building facade program is credited with revitalizing downtown
- Street Face-lift
- Coming unwired
- Sandy tries to connect to inter-city bike route
- Clinging to Solutions for Yesterday’s Problems
- How to Motivate Employees: What Research Is Telling Us
- The Adequacy of MPA Course Content in Preparing Local Government Managers
Background on Recruitment
- Alex McIntyre accepts post in California
- The Transition with Alex McIntyre, City of Menlo Park
- 01.18.12 The Alex McIntyre Memorial
- The Assistant with David Donaldson, City of Lake Oswego