Next ELGL Forum: Bill Wyatt, Port of Portland Executive Director, January 15, 2013 (note the date change), 11:45 am @ Port of Portland Headquarters, 7200 NE Airport Way, Portland, OR 97218, 1:00 pm – Tour of Port of Portland Headquarters. RSVP to Megan Messmer, ELGL Project Coordinator, email@example.com.
The Fiscal Cliff
- The bare truth about the ‘fiscal cliff’
- Keizer Storm Water rates expected to rise in January
- Atwater working on fiscal crisis
- Republicans reject White House fiscal cliff proposals as incomplete
- Jack Roberts: State and national leaders have ‘fiscal cliffs’ to manage
- Council revives 2.5 percent utility tax with 4-3 vote
- State workers to have pension cuts but no furloughs with new budget
You’re invited to visit a new online planning tool called “Shape Southwest” to show how you would plan Tigard and the Southwest Corridor’s future. How would you invest in things like transit, roads, bikeways, sidewalks, parks and habitat? Explore the ways that these choices affect community health, prosperity, access and mobility. Then answer a brief questionnaire (about 5 minutes) to help inform the next stages of the project. “Shape Southwest” is online now and will be available through December 31.
County Commissioner Jay Bozievich Seeks Input on Public Safety – Lane County Commissioner Jay Bozievich is holding a series of town hall meetings on the current state of Lane County’s public safety system.
Gov. John Kitzhaber’s budget offers 500 more teachers, cap on PERS increases – Gov. John Kitzhaber plans to unveil a proposed state budget Friday that he says would allow schools to hire 500 additional teachers, end furlough days for state workers, boost spending on at-risk children and families and still leave money on the table for emergencies.
Gresham city manager, attorney, evaluated – Gresham City Manager Erik Kvarsten received high praise from city councilors during his Tuesday, Nov. 27, annual evaluation. City Attorney David Ris also was given a positive review during the same meeting.
Hillsboro Online Academy field trip to Hillsboro Public Works informs and inspires. Last week, I had the pleasure of visiting a place that has apparently been hiding right under my nose in the city of Hillsboro.
Hillsboro council seat goes to Braze, and now comes the hard part. Braze and three other Hillsboro residents tried to raise awareness of the race in the weeks leading up to election day. The 26-year-old had to wait nearly three weeks before finally hearing her fate.
The Best- and Worst-Run States in America – Every year, 24/7 Wall St. conducts an extensive survey of all fifty states in America. Based on a review of data on financial health, standard of living and government services by state we determine how well each state is managed. For the first time, North Dakota is the best run. California is the worst run for the second year in a row.
Three finalists selected for city manager – The city of Klamath Falls has released the names of the three finalists for the position of city manager, signifying that a job search that started in August will soon come to an end.
Study: City Planners Unprepared for Future – The U.S.’s major urban centers have a long way to go when it comes to technology, according to a recent report.
Washington County leaders share goals and challenges at legislative training session – Washington County city mayors, councilors and staff along with local legislators shared accomplishments, concerns and goals at a joint legislative training session Thursday evening in Forest Grove.
- Lake Oswego comprehensive plan amended to allow Foothills Framework Plan to take effect
- West Linn is applying for state transportation grants for projects
- ODOT’s TV Highway project open house draws more staff than public
- Oregon Convention Center hotel votes pushed back to 2013
- Who will Tom Miller hire to fill $100000 public affairs job?
- Portland City Council approves less expensive design standards to pave gravel
- Incoming Tigard City Councilor Jason Snider discusses goals, planning
- Clackamas County elections worker accused of ballot tampering apologizes, says prescription clouded thinking
- Cornelius interim police chief: Department needs improved training, communication and participation with citizen advisory board
- Arlan Hatloe resigns from Everett City Council
- A city employee with four legs? Meet Murphy O’Rourke
- Bainbridge city manager recommends study
- City council: Salem needs another river crossing — now what?
The Career Center
Your First Job? Think About Retirement. Most people in their 20s aren’t planning for when they will leave the workforce. That’s a big mistake.
5 Habits of Highly Effective Communicators – It’s no secret that good leaders are also good communicators. And the best leaders have learned that effective communication is as much about authenticity as the words they speak and write.
A Better Way to Plan Your Career – My students frequently ask me how I planned out my career to become president of Fidelity Investments. I always tell them, “There was no grand plan; I backed into my career one step at a time.”
The Social Network
Should Your Boss Care About Your Klout Score? A confession: I don’t know my Klout score. A second confession: I don’t want to know my Klout score. A third confession: I’m a hypocrite. I’m almost always looking for ways to meaningfully assess how influential — positively and negatively — my colleagues, collaborators and co-workers are.
4 media relations tips from YouTube’s most popular video ever – The guy is an influencer. His music video—which is now the most viewed video on YouTube—can teach PR pros a thing or two about communicating with the media.
The 6 most irritating ways to use hashtags on Twitter – If you’re going to take the plunge and use Twitter to promote your small business, or if you’ve already started on the network, ensure learning hashtag etiquette is high on your to-do list.
Facebook is the king of the social networks: Deal with it – Despite the headlines, Facebook remains the king of social media, and PR and marketing need to stop complaining and start adapting to the changes.
We Suggest You Like: