ELGL members are on the ground at ICMA 2012. The conference committee clearly spent a lot of time and effort in organizing the event. Check back often as we’ll continue to live tweet and blog from Phoenix unless we are busy loading up on pencils and notepads in the vendor room.
8:35 a.m.: Wish you were here? Get a favor of the conference by checking out the conference handouts.
- Excited for Jim Collins keynote this morning at
ICMAconference Who needs coffee when you start your day with #GoodToGreat?! #ICMA12
- Starbucks line
ICMAconference is an indication that #ICMA12 receptions were successful last night… Hope we’re not late for #GoodToGreat!
- ICMAconference suggestion for
#icma13 bobburg ‘The Go Giver’ would be a hit for municipal leaders! Very inspiring, just like ICMA!
8:00 p.m: Enjoying some local government chatter with two of ELGL’s favorite city managers – Eric King (Bend) and Michael Sykes (Forest Grove).
4:15 p.m: In case you are wondering, here’s the jersey of our favorite Phoenix Sun.
- I wish I had a crown I could wear so the
#icma12 presenters know I am respectfully live-tweeting, not ignoring them & playing on my iPad…
- washoecounty “reverse RFP” concept to find out services that businesses want from gov’t is prime crowd sourcing question
tomspengler newamericaca alissablack mayorsmith An impressive turn out for your #icma12 social ideation session!
granicus “today we’ll show a new way to create a new playground for your community to play on online.” #icma12 ICMAconference
- tomspengler “The free time divide is important bc in-person civic involvement requires people to take time away from families.”
- tomspengler “Citizens expect gov’t to provide a convenient way for them to engage in a meaningful way.”
#icma12 granicus ICMAconference
- “Productive engagement means diversity in involvement and ability to frame topics.”
- Is gov’t missing the opportunity to do active, productive listening? Social ideation can help us ‘seek first to understand.’
newamericaca “Make sure you only ask questions you truly want to be answered by your community.” #icma12
- alissa007 advice: “Reward & recognize citizen online participation so people will want to reengage next time you ask a question.”
- mayor_smith Your community is innovative and forward thinking! Great presentation by Karolyn Kent on iMesa.
#icma12 #innovative #imesa #IMesa flash mob video featured a Black Eyed Peas song. The most bass & auto-tune we’ll likely hear at #icma12 @ICMAconference mayor_smith @WaterMizz Thanks for your great session moderation. Your PR expertise was a real bonus, you should be on a panel @ #icma13! icmaconference
1:00 p.m: Social media session
- Bonnie Svrcek and Kim Payne doing a great presentation
ICMAconference discvrlynchburg is a lucky community to have their talents. #icma12 session on social media w/ Sean Stegall from #Elgin and consultant Spencer Stern. Good intro from ch2mhill.
- CH2MHILL Susan Mayes explains: “it is important for local governments to tell their own story.” True, true!
- “Social media tools can give you tangible data to help you better serve your citizens.”
- “Cast a wide net when selecting your social media team. Ensure a diversity of employees. Incl. IT, legal, all depts.”
- “Push social media channels to lower traditional communications costs.” Thx
@spencerstern1 on this great reminder of new comm value. #icma12
- cityofhampton referenced as having a great model social media policy.
#icma12 ICMAconference spencerstern1
- A solid 1/3 of the city managers in this social media training seem to be scared of computers. Good thing
#icma12 offers this training.
- ElginIL CM Sean Stegall: “Social media can allow for a level playing field and an accurate depiction of how the community feels.”
- ElginIL strategy: “provide consistent flow of info through the budget process using trad & new comm tools…”
- ElginIL does not have a full time social media coordinator but has a very active and progressive new media strategy.
- ElginIL case study on tweeting during a snowstorm shows the dedication of local govt officials.
jenniferdelgado #icma12 ICMAconference
- “Set aside modesty and let yourself learn from the information your city gains from social media.” Thanks CM Stegall
- Great reminder from Susan Mayes
ch2mhill that you can quickly and easily clear up misinformation on Twitter with a simple RT. #icma12
Noon: A special welcome at Assistants Lunch from
ICMA Bob O’Neill. Great to see his support for next gen CMs.
Looking for a restaurant tonight? Here’s a recommendation from Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton
- Thanks for the bike messenger tote,
ICMAconference. I wonder how many city managers regularly bike to work?
- ICMA CONFERENCE ICMAconference:
OregonELGL you are welcome! Sounds like we should take a poll on that. We have several ICMA staffers who choose to bike to work! ICMAconference icma glad to be here! Thanks for your careful planning and great conference agenda! Exciting times in #phx for #ELGL
- “Imagination can help you anticipate the future. Creativity is applying imagination in a practical way.”
- “50% of the world’s population live in cities. City managers are at the front edge of innovation.”
- Wise words: “Creativity is not rare, we are all born creative.”
- Room full of people excited to hear from@SirKenRobinson
ICMAconference Introduction by Mayor Stanton@CityofPhoenixAZ
An ELGL member submitted this picture and tweets after attending this morning’s session on Open Source Solutions.
- Well said: “Govt’s can make better use of scarce tech $$ by working together to solve common problems.”
MayorReichert Macon, GA and Amanda Deaton are doing incredible city work with open source technology. Way to go!
- Open source benefit: “Given enough eyeballs, all bugs can be fixed.”
- “There are new, robust software solutions that are freely available…”