Normandy Park city manager denies he is bailing out because of city’s financial woes – While Schulze is going west to Bainbridge Island, Burien Community Director Scott Greenberg is headed east to another island, Mercer Island where he will be Development Services director.
What Exactly Is A Smart City? Having worked in the smart cities space for several years now, I am encouraged by the growth of the sector and the pace of technological advancements being developed for urban environments. However, I believe that the smart-cities movement is being held back by a lack of clarity and consensus around what a smart city is and what the components of a smart city actually are.
The Outsized Legacy of Baltimore’s Memorial Stadium – Camden Yards may have been a groundbreaking project, but plenty of locals still long for a less stylish sports past.
Mayors Urge Washington to Stop Sequestration – Automatic spending cuts would slash important grants and hurt metro economies, mayors say.
Inside the UGB
- Hillsboro breaks stadium ground, name comes next
- Portland Streetcar’s eastside loop gets off to hobbled start
- Milwaukie looks to gain momentum on Riverfront Park development
- Hart Meadows Park neighbors say dog park would increase traffic, noise and smells
- Gresham citywide fee comments split — half for, half against — at town hall; UPDATE: Poll
- Former economic development director takes Corvallis job
Outside the UGB
- City budget perspective | Opinion
- Schulze is council’s pick for next city manager
- Shasta Lake manager recommends assistant city manager as successor
- More cuts not possible, Yakima County officials say
- Extended pay freeze nets financial angst, frustration
- Utility blasts plan for gravel mine
- Plastic bags, not paper, targeted
- John Skjervem to oversee $58 billion state pension fund
- Congress passes bill including firefighting funds
A Conversation with Jefferson Smith – Our third meeting for the busy month of September will be with Jefferson Smith – City of Portland Mayoral Candidate. This event will take place on September 28th at noon. Our meeting will be brown bag so please feel free to bring your lunch.
Gresham Chamber to host forum on districting ballot measure – The Gresham Chamber of Commerce is hosting a forum on Measure 26-141, the proposal that will appear on the Nov. 6 ballot to amend the Gresham city charger so councilors are elected by district and the mayor is elected at large.
Willamette Women Democrats host talk by Suzanne Bonamici, Kurt Schrader – The event goes from 4 to 6 p.m. Oct. 10 at the Oswego Lake Country Club. Tickets are $12 for members and $15 for non-members. Light refreshments will be served. For reservations, call 503-656-4445 or visit email@example.com by Oct. 8. You aren’t allowed to wear denim at the country club.
How to Build an Ethical Business Culture – Are business ethics in danger? A 2011 report from the Ethics Resource Center found that “ethics cultures are eroding and employees’ perceptions of their leaders’ ethics are slipping.” Employees are experiencing increased retaliation against whistle-blowers as well as more pressure to break rules.
14 Ways to Not Get Hired – Avoid these major pitfalls — be the one who gets the job offer!
Companies’ new off-hours message: ‘You’ve got mail,’ but don’t check it -Firms are telling their employees to avoid sending or reading after-hours e-mail to reduce burnout.
Ten Ways to Get People to Change – How do you get leaders, employees, customers — and even yourself — to change behaviors? Executives can change strategy, products and processes until they’re blue in the face, but real change doesn’t take hold until people actually change what they do.
The Receptionist Is Watching You – Job seekers might not know it, but an interview often begins the moment they walk through the door. Candidates usually save their “best behavior” for the hiring manager and assume administrative assistants are automatons whose opinions don’t matter.
The Social Network
Facebook: Hillsboro Arts & Culture Council
Twitter: Your Government
Pinterest: King County Washington
Google+:San Mateo County/Silicon Valley