- 08.03.12 Your Morning Buzz
- Lightning Round with Petra Schuetz, Coburg City Administrator
- Testimonial and Job Posting
- The Rise of Social Government
- Updated (8/2): Can I Get a Ride?
- 08.03.12 Knope of the Week
- Job Opening: City of Tigard
- Welcome, Karras Consulting!
- Mill Creek, Washington City Manager Job Posting
RSVP: ELGL Forum with Bob Moore, founder of Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods – The event will be held at Bob’s Red Mill corporate headquarters in Milwaukie (13521 SE Pheasant Ct., Milwaukie, OR 97222) on August 8th. Please note, this is a different location than the store. The event will begin at 11:45 am and last until 1pm. For those who are able to stay longer, a tour of the Bob’s Red Mill facility will begin at 1pm.
Chick-fil-A Flap Not Cities’ Business? Should city leaders “not welcome” Chick-fil-A in their communities?
Wanted: Community members for Metro’s review committee – Interested in improving how Metro involves the public? Apply for the Public Engagement Review Comm by Aug 24.
Third California city goes bankrupt – With more than $1 billion in debt, California’s San Bernardino filed for bankruptcy on Wednesday. The city, which is the third in the state to go bankrupt in five weeks, blames its economic catastrophe on the 2007 housing crash.
Volmert, assistant city manager since ’94, to leave – Ellen Volmert is going home. Volmert, the city of Corvallis’ assistant city manager since 1994, has landed a new job as city manager of La Palma, Calif.
We now have our smallest government in 45 years – Since the official end of the Great Recession, America’s public sector has shrunk. And shrunk. And shrunk some more. We’ve said goodbye to about 600,000 government jobs, handing the economy a nasty self-inflicted wound in the process.
To Be Your Best, Try Being “Uncomfortable” – It seems like our nature is geared toward comfort and the pursuit of comfort. Isn’t that the goal of our labors – to achieve some coziness?
Why Leaders Must Be Readers – If you take only one glance at our professional branding company’s leadership team, you may be surprised by our youthfulness.
The 6 Reasons You Didn’t Get The Job – It’s tough out there right now (surprise!). There are piles and piles of resumes waiting to be reviewed, hundreds of candidates to be seen and only a handful of dream jobs out there.
Inside the UGB
- Decision on convention center hotel developer pushed back a month
- Portland harbor cleanup is too important to get hung up on fine print
- Canby builds new $9 million police station without raising property taxes
- Springwater Corridor’s 21 miles still needs 2 miles paved to reach new Boring trailhead (video)
- Mark Gamba to run for one of two Milwaukie City Council seats
- Baseball blogs weigh in on possibility of Milwaukie getting a West Coast League team
Outside the UGB
- Bainbridge receives about 40 applications for city manager job
- Carolyn Eagan named Bend Business Advocate
- Audit finds $450,000 misappropriation in McCleary
- Shady Cove considers city building expansion
- San Jose is starting to hire again, with police topping the list
- Ferndale to require applications for economic development, low-income grants
- Politics in Focus | Your city government structure and you | Rich Elfers
- City nears hire of economic development manager
- City, arena reach settlement with legal advisors
- In rare move, City of Roseburg looks to strengthen Oregon’s ‘mandatory sidepath’ law
The Social Network
6 Tips for Writing a Facebook Post with the Perfect Call to Action – The phrasing and structure of a Facebook status update correlates strongly to how users will engage with a post. For the best post engagement, use a call to action (CTA).
Pinteresting and Pinformational: 4 Tools to Get the Most Out of Pinterest for Business – Pinterest is growing like crazy. Still in its experimental phase as a social media site, companies are scrambling to discover how best to use Pinterest for business.
LinkedIn’s Edge: The 7 Habits Of A Well-Run Social Network – LinkedIn generates traffic with a purpose. Any social-media player can find it intoxicating to attract swarms of users. Without a clear plan, though, executives are merely hosting an enormous party that accomplishes little.
Stay connected by following these feeds.
Facebook: Kurt Cobain Memorial Foundation
Twitter: Alliance for NW Jobs
Pinterest: Tootie Smith
Google+: Reed College